Rough day
Thrusday we went to the GI doctor to follow up on Jessi's celiac test. He agreed that bloodwork was way too high, and ordered for an endoscopy. It wasnt an emergnecy type thing, but they had a spot available friday. This worked out well for us, especially if we got the report back by tues, because wed we are going to ohio to the endo, and meeting with the dietician anyways. So we scheduled it for friday. (for non-D people... her blood glucose was to be 120-160 before going to be put out. normal D bg is 80-180 for Jessi.. under 60 can be dangerous low area)
Jess had her endoscopy done yesterday. She was allowed clear fluids up till 9am, so she had popsicle and apple juice for breakfast. We had to be ther at 9am, with the procedure scheduled for 1:00. we got checked in. They came out about 9:45a. We were just there that early so incase she dropped from 9a-1p since she couldnt eat. They told us we were free to walk around the hospital. i asked how fast they could get an iv in a fighting 6 yr old if she was dropping. So she decided it would be a good idea to start the capped saline, justin case. So I said since we werent in a hurry, I wanted emla first. So we are getting emla, and she asks if she had insulin that morning. I said she is in her pump. This nurse abou flipped.. SEH CANT HAVE INSULIN!! umm, yes she is , she can, and she will.. so about 5 mins later, I won. We went back on hour later for the iv starter. I checked her and she was down to 65. So 15 mins later, they bring her some apple juice (since her procedure was still 2 1/2 hs out). She went up to a nice 141. At 12:15 she was 122.. by 1:10 she was 92!! I told them she is dropping. The anestiologist dr said "oh its just a 30 min procedure it wll be fast and then she can have all the juice she wants. we will come et her in about 10 mins and he left. So at 12:25 i checked again and she was 80. (our endo has said to be 120-160).. so I told he nurse i wanted something to bring her up.. Then anotherlady comes in to take her away, and after a nice conversation, she tried to take Jessi. I said she is not going anywhere till she comes up, dv is on its way.. She got huffy and called for the Anest dr. He was saing, fine, etc and i started to check her again (just 4 mins later).. he said I dont think you need to keep checking her if we are getting something for her.. I said well she is now 67 just 4 mins later.. I didnt get another word from him. So, she gets a bolus of dextrose in the iv, and in 5 mins sheis 104. I figured she was climbing, so I said they could take her. They said I could check her as soon as the procedure was done, but then I would have to leave while they stablize her. So we go to the waiting room. 15 mins later, our gastro ( who i do just adore) says all was good, shows me the pictures and is on his way. So, I am expecting to go back anytime to check her. 20 mins later.. I tell my mom and my aunt something is wrong. I just had mommy gut. So we go get the info lady and she goes back to see what is going on. She comes back saying she is in recovery and we can go back,.. I grab the tester and basically run following this lady, with mom trailing behind me. A nurse is watching her sleep peacefully. She said they checkedher bg in there and gave dextrose.. I asked what her # was, as i was getting my tester ready.. SHe could tell me. She was 45!!!! I told her she needed stuff NOW. then all hell broke lose. she starts waking her up, in no hurry to get dextrose. then another nurse said there is 5% in the ringer she had running.(an iv). I said well did she had that running the whole procedure.. Yes.. I said well then obvisouly it isnt enough cuz she is still dropping. The nurse said 45 isnt that low.. I asked if she had a clue what D was. The dextrose bolus was now sitting on the tray next to her, there were 5 people there and no one would give it to her.. I had an pple juice, but she wouldnt drink it. They kept saying to wait. I grabbed my cell and called the endo in Ohio.. and started going off. They told me to use the glucogon. I grabbed mine, got it mixed. I was shaking so bad. I gave my phone to one of the nurses. She said " hey there " all sweet. Then anold dr showde up and trid to run things..I said unless you and an endo, dont tell me anythng, just give her the dextrose. So the nurse gave him my cell, he said okay okay, we are giving it to her now. he gets the dextrose out. then hangs up my phone and put it were I couldnt reach it. I went to grab it and called ohio again. So, she was up to 116, I got off the phone with the endo.. and this dr man (who turns out to be the head of anestiology, introduces himself. He about flipped when i told him the dr on the phone was in ohio. I gave him the run down of events. he asked how long she has had D and i said 5 1/2 yrs.. He stopped questioning me after that and told the nurse to do what I want done. Then things calmed down. The nurs I asked is she knew what D was was telling my mom they dont freak out about lows cuz they see them more often. I had ignored her as long as I could.. I said I dont freak about lows either, but I usually treat them right away!!after that she had popsicles, and slushes.. I told them she needed something with protein, fat etc to keep her up or she will just drop again. She finally got graham crackers and PB.. 2 hrs later we got to come home. She has been running in the 300s ever since. I am sure it is rebound high from when she was so slow. No ketones, and this morning she is in the lower 200s. I have been running 150% basal instead of corrections to bring her down slowly. So we are all home safely now. No side effect from the actual procedure. Hopefully she will come down and things can return to normal today
Today, we went to the mall for kid health fest. The ADA spin a thon kickoff was today. Jess just had to be there for a few mins. She stood on the stage, and the ADA lady introduced her and said that is who the bike ride was for, etc. Our next event will be Mar 25th and Iwill actually have to talk at it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home