It is offical.. Jess has been diagnosed with Celiac
The Dr called us on tuesday morning with the test results. I had alittle pity party for about an hour, and then got over it and decided to get started on making a new "normal" life for our family.
I am sure most of you wont understand unless you have had a child be diagnosed with a chronic illness. Before Jess was ever diagnosed with anything, I used to think.. Diabetes.. why is that so bad, so you dont eat sweets. Celiac.. so what, you dont eat bread or wheat.. no big deal.
Of course after diagnosis, I just wish it was all that simple. It is all so overwhelming.. So much to learn and if you dont get it right, its your child's life at stake. She was just 11 mths when she was diagnosed with diabets. I just knew the world would come to an end. Life was over. The whole family would switch to diet soda, we would all eat better, no junk food, etc. I had no clue about diabtes. ..now, over 5 yrs later.. I drink regular coke, the boys drink Mt. Dew (Matt actually stuck with diet soda). We have cookies, cake, ice cream.. Did you know fresh fruit can wreck more havoc on her blood sugars then a damn cookie! Point is, I learned, we managed.. our life became normal again, a differnt normal, but normal.
I have the same lost feeling all over again. What can she eat? How will I ever learn all this stuff. Gluten is found in way too many things. It is hidden in the ingredients.. "natural and artificial flavoring".. hmm is it in there.. red dye #5, yellow dye #6.. I have been told I will be calling the 800# on the labels more then I call my friends. So all of this thinking is my selfishness.. how hard it will be on ME.... Then comes the thinking of Jessi. How will she be an average kid? She cant eat cupcakes or cakes at b-day parties. SHe has a field trip in April, they are going to a pizza joint.. She cant eat pizza (the crust has gluten). Mc Donalds chicken nuggets are her favorite food.. she cant have that anymore!
I was talking to my mil the other day. After I got off the phone, I was telling Jess about school snacks, and Y snacks etc.. She asked is she can still take a snack for the class on her snack day.. I said sure. She then asked if it would be regular food or if it had to be gluten free .. My heart just sank. A 6 yr old should have to worry about gluten.
Jessi is such an amazing child. She rarely has days when she asks "why me" about D. She just takes it in stride. and now she is doing the same with Celiac. She barely can read, can only add single digit #s, usually with the help of her fingers.. yet she looks at food labels with more knowledge then most adults. She is really an immature 6 yr old in many aspects, but way too mature in others.

3 Comments:
Awe I want to just say "oh poor Jessi" but I know better. She is just such a strong little lady and if any mom in the world could deal with this you can! I know I would not be able to deal with all the things you do..........you are truly amazing and thank God that he choose to give you Jessi!
And oh BTW......do you call your friends LOL
I agree with Angie, Jess IS a very strong little girl! She deals so amazingly with everything thrown her way! She is incredible! And you are incredible too!
Thanks girls...your comments really mean alot!
Post a Comment
<< Home