Openthe big can of whoop @ss...
So the saga with the school continues. We filed our offical complaint with the Office of Civil Rights this afternoon. We listed the elementary school, the school district, and the State Dept of Ed. The school and district are obvious but we have emails that the school refers to " talking to the folks at state" and that is where their decision came from.
This has gone farther then just a simple 504 to protect my daughter and her health while she is at school. I am sure the school thinks that we have just given up, as we only had 14 days to appeal the decision, if we went the route of due process. I would love to see the look on their faces when they find out we filed a complaint. They have not followed her health plan again twice just this week. It is just minor little things, but it just goes to show why she needs the umbrella protection of the federal law.
I have found a great online community of parents with t1 kids. It is so nice to have people know what it is like to deal with this daily, and to poke fun with at the misinformed people. I must admit, 5 years ago I had no clue as to what the different types of diabetes were or how serious they were... I thought it just meant the person couldnt eat sweets. How I wish that was it. I have had comments made from " well your little girl must have lost alot of weight, if she has diabtes cuz she isnt fat now", to "atleast it is juvinile and she will out grow it. I just want to reply.." I am sorry you are an misinformed idiot.. type 1 is an autoimmune disease, not caused by weight.. it wont be outgrown.. she has to live with it the rest of her life... somedays I wonder if cancer would be better. K, sorry I dont know where that got off from.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home